Monday, June 25, 2012

Marion Race Report

One more before I dive into Marathon Training posts. I do believe I am now 4 weeks behind on those! Maybe I need to start putting in a bit more effort to get caught up! Anyway, I am skipping over the Quad Cities Distance Classic just because there wasn't anything real special about that one other than it was the first anniversary of my first Half Marathon. It was my 11th HM in 12 months and I was pretty excited about that fact. Unfortunately, it didn't go as well as I wanted. I was still in pain even after a couple session with the Mistress of Pain, Dr. Lake. By the time Marion rolled around I was in DESPERATE need for a good run. A race where I didn't limp over the Finish Line. Marion was truly a last minute decision and took some major arranging by my Running Partner as by the time we caught wind that the Race Director had changed from offering a Finisher's Certificate (Lame) to a Medal, the race was sold out. Laurie made some arrangements to buy the bibs of some runners who had decided not to run the race after all, and suddenly we were making last minute reservations. We weren't going to stay in a hotel to start with, we were just going to leave Butt Crack Early from my house and drive the hour in the morning. Since we still had to pick up our newly acquired Race Packets, we decided a hotel would be a better idea. Better may not be the right word. Word to the wise, you do get what you pay for and when it comes to a $35 room at the Howard Johnson, you are better off using that $35 to buy an air mattress and sleep in your in-laws office building two buildings down. Add it to our book of adventures, I suppose... My husband and I share a larger bed than the one Laurie and I slept in that night!

It DID have a fridge and a microwave, but those were small comforts. We were counting down the hours before we could check out and go to packet pickup! Plus, it was a (formerly) smoking room. Everything else I can deal with, cuz face it, it was just for a few hours, but the stale stank of the smoke was making my nose run and my throat burn. Awesome.

I don't think I slept too bad considering the situation. I usually just sleep in my race clothes the night of a Half cuz it saves time in the morning. I cooked my oatmeal up in the microwave, grabbed some coffee and got the heck out of Dodge! Like I said, we were counting the hours till we could check out! On our way to the Start to get our packets, we did see a burning car. Can't say I have ever seen that before! It smelled horrible! LOL The Fire Department was there but it looked like they were just there to make sure it didn't get out of control. I hoped that it wasn't a sign or something! We got to the Start with PLENTY of time to spare (should have stopped for some more coffee?), got our packets and waited to head over
Getting there early paid off in the parking department. I took that photo from the car! Soon was start time We said hellos to some friends and walked to the Starting Line. There was an interesting bridge situation that occurred towards the beginning of the race All the runner had to cross a little Pedestrian Bridge to get to the path. It was quite the bottle neck:
This was the first year fo0r this Half, and I think next year they should try something else in regards to this part of the route. Otherwise it was your standard run.  It was pretty darn warm. I was grateful to the citizens of Marion who had their sprinklers running They were a Godsend and I ran through every one of them! I was actually feeling pretty good (considering the heat) I wasn't in pain like I had been in the past few races.  I needed to finish this one strong before my Running Mojo was gone for good.  I had been in a downward spiral since my Mom's first hospitalization, and I needed something to go well before I was to far gone to find my way back Turns out Marion was my ticket. It wasn't pretty by any means It was rough, and hot, and slow, but it was relatively pain free.

Towards Mile 10 (I think) we came to a roundabout and I realized that I hadn't really been taking any pictures Usually by this point I am too focused on my run and getting worn out so I don't take pictures in the latter stages, but this roundabout had a really awesome sculpture in the middle of it that inspired me to get the camera out and snap some pictures.

HAHA! That was about all the pictures I took during the race. There wasn't a whole lot of shade to speak of. We were closing in on the last 3 miles and people on the streets would say "The last mile is all down hill and lots of shade" The LAST MILE? At this point, all that means to me is I have 2 miles of sun to go, but I did it I finished with no pain in my foot and I couldn't have been happier!

Half Marathon #12 was in the books. Laurie was off to do a Back to Back in Rockford the next day. I was supposed to, but my stars didn't align for that one as my husband was being confirmed at our church. Turns out it was for the best. Laurie struggled in the heat, and I am very sensitive to heat because of my MS.. I have to watch my core temp because if it gets too high I could send myself into a relapse. I was disappointed that I couldn't do a B2B, but I know in my heart it was for the best I want to keep myself in healthy running shape and that would have done some nasty stuff to my body. I know that I was not meant to do that particular B2B but I will have other (cooler) opportunities.

So that is it for Marion I don't know that I will do this one again next year, but who knows? Next up will be Marathon Training Week #1 and the Galesburg  Express Half Marathon. Until then:

Run On and Be Happy!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, NOW I can die happy (not that I plan on that any time soon) because you chronicled Motel He!!. Loved that place :-D